Home of one of the biggest truck stops in the US.
- The first inhabitant of Hammonton was William Coffin, who ran a saw mill owned by John Coates. Eventually Coffin bought out Coates, and then partnered with Johnathan Haines to build a glass factory. The town got its name from one of Coffin’s sons, John Hammond Coffin.
- Hammonton held its first blueberry festival in 1953. The town is known as the Blueberry Capital of the World, and was even recognized as such by Ronald Reagan in a speech he gave there on September 19, 1984.
- Fort Dix, constructed in June-July 1917, was named after Major General John Adams Dix, a veteran of the War of 1812 and the Civil War. In addition to being a soldier, Dix also served as a United States Senator, Secretary of the Treasury, Minister to France, and Governor of New York.
- During the Vietnam War, Fort Dix was home to a mock Vietnamese village, where soldiers could get specific training prior to being sent overseas.
- Joseph Bonaparte, older brother of Napoleon and once King of Spain, lived in voluntary exile in Bordentown from 1816-1839 under the assumed name Count de Survilliers.
LATEST SUGGESTIONS FOR EXIT 7
IMAGE GALLERY PHOTOS FOR EXIT 7